Dealing with a Pest Infestation that Occurs in the Attic
If you have been hearing strange sounds from your attic, a pest and other unwanted guests might be taking residence there. Even if your attic is meant as an extra room for you or storage, it can regularly invite pests such as rodents, roaches, fleas, spiders, and more. These pests can invade your entire home over time, damage its structure, and pose health risks. If you suspect an invasion, contact an Austin pest exterminator immediately. The sooner you get in touch with an exterminator the sooner you can have the issue addressed, reducing possible damages.
Common Attic Invaders
The following pests commonly take up residence in the attic:
- House mice. These mice prefer to dwell and hide in dull, isolated places, so they tend to be found in upper rooms. Stockpiling items are ideal home-building materials for these rodents.
- Termites. Termites can eat 24 hours a day and cause serious damage despite their size. They like to invade the attic because it is filled with wood and lots of other foods they can snack on. Aside from wood, termites also love anything cellulose-based such as boxes, furniture, and other personal belongings.
- Roof rats. Roof rats want to live in lofts in other upper structures. Because of their climbing ability, they can easily use close by trees to arrive at your attic.
- Spiders. Different kinds of spiders can invade a home. And once they are in your attic, an infestation can quickly multiply in no time. Spiders prefer to be in the attic since they are away from danger.
- Fleas. Fleas can catch a ride on human bodies or clothes and make a home in your attic. They can jump high and move fast, which makes them difficult to catch and trace. You will know you have a flea infestation if you have flea bites.
How to Get Rid of Pests in the Attic
Some attic dwellers such as rodents and bats can come and go, prompting serious invasions if not addressed right away and appropriately. Unfortunately, most pests that dwell in the attic are also disease carriers, posing health threats. This is the reason you need to get rid of an infestation as soon as possible.
Treating pests must be left to the experts. Because of this, you need to contact a professional exterminator to get rid of pests and bugs in your attic. Professionals will evaluate your situation first to come up with a removal plan and determine the right approach to apply to completely eliminate the infestation.